Friday, September 29, 2006

The King of Love

There is a man I see almost every morning in our neighbourhood who always says hello. He loves his alcohol and he's at it morning, noon and night. Last night as I was walking home I saw him and he beckoned me over.

"Why don't you come and visit me sometime?" he slurred. "I live at number 123."
"Maybe."
"You do know I won't hurt you?"
"Yes, I know."
"I had a dream about you last night."
"Really? I hope it was a good one," I said.
"Yes, I was very happy in my dream."
"Oh, good," I said. "Well, it's lovely to see you again."
"You are God, you know," he slurred.
"So are you."

My friend was talking about the one true self that we all are, the self that is Infinite Love.

Later as I was watching television with my eyes closed, which is an art in itself ;), a mosquito kept whining around my ears. I ignored it. Then it bit me on my arm.

In thought I said to him, "Little friend, don't you realise we are the one self that is love and you can't harm me? Unless it's your way of showing me love by having your pound of flesh. Hope you enjoyed your meal. I love you anyway."

Unfortunately for the poor sod, my flatmate (mother) doesn't share my sentiments and got the insect spray out. That was the mosquito's final meal of his life.

In the middle of the night I woke up feeling out of sorts when I don't quite feel like my real self. I knew I wasn't resonating with Love. So I asked to be lifted to the Love vibration. A thought popped into my head: "The King of Love." I was instantly in the love zone and I stayed in bliss all night.

What does "The King of Love" mean for me?

I was raised a Methodist and had to go to church every Sunday. I even attended a Methodist secondary school. Every morning at assembly we sang various hymns. The King of Love My Shepherd Is was my favourite hymn. I didn't think much about the meaning at the time, I just loved singing that hymn. It was only years later that I explored its meaning, which is a version of Psalm 23. (Anyone brought up as a Christian will have memorised this psalm at Sunday School). Though I don't go to church now, unless when I'm invited, I still love this hymn.

Here are the first two verses:

The King of love my shepherd is,
Whose goodness faileth never;
I nothing lack if I am his
And he is mine forever.

Where streams of living water flow,
My ransomed soul he leadeth
And, where the verdant pastures grow,
With food celestial feedeth.
The King of Love is the one true self, the one "I." The true self is infinite love and is therefore never in lack. He is continuously "feeding" all of us with ideas of love that are tailored towards our individual needs. In my case, reminding me of the words of my favourite hymn. It is always up to us to be open to receive love, however it appears; and to recognise our true self.

Next verse:

Perverse and foolish oft I strayed,
But yet in love he sought me
And on his shoulder gently laid
And home rejoicing brought me.
Yesterday I read an article about a British celebrity who has been married a few times and has had several public and volatile love affairs. She said the men she married were very kind but she found life with them boring and sought excitement in extra-marital affairs. The downside is she has been suffering from depression. I can imagine many people can relate to this woman's mental state. You want to be happy, you crave love and yet when you receive love you sabotage what you have.

The good news is that the true self that is love never gives up on anyone. You're constantly being reminded of who you are. No matter what you do or what you believe, the self is always there to guide you.

Next two verses:

In death’s dark vale I fear no ill
With thee, dear Lord, beside me,
Thy rod and staff my comfort still,
Thy cross before to guide me.

Thou spredst a table in my sight;
Thine unction grace bestoweth;
And, oh, what transport of delight
From thy pure chalice floweth!
Like the celebrity, most people are used to the fight or flight way of existing which they believe is the only way of being. While breaking the old habit takes trust, persistence, one-pointed focus and constant vigilance, you are always being supported by Love. And where there is Love there is nothing to fear.

Final verse:

And so through all the length of days
Thy goodness faileth never.
Good Shepherd, may I sing thy praise
Within thy house forever.
When you live in the house (consciousness) of Love, you're in effect living in another dimension. Life is a never-ending expression of grace, joy and gratitude.

I am the King of Love.

Enocia

Related articles: Making Heaven on Earth; The Power of Love; Tuning into the Love Station; The Love Sensor; Music to My Ears; Trusting in Your Path





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?