Monday, September 11, 2006

Love is All There Is

As I was waiting for a bus a man approached the bus stop.

"Have you been waiting long?" he said.
"No, only a few minutes."
"Looks like we've just missed one then," he said.
"Yeah, probably. There was no one here when I arrived," I said.
"Lovely day, isn't it? In fact every day is more wonderful than the last," he said.
"Yes, life is good."
"You look like a Christian, are you a Christian?" he said.
"No, I follow no religion, I just believe in God."
"Yes we don't have to follow a religion as long as we believe in God."
"That's right. What about you?"
"I'm a Roman Catholic."

I thought it was interesting that he'd used the word "Roman" as I had been thinking about Roman Numerals.

He talked about how sad he was about the wars and famines in the world and how he was always praying for them. He said people deserve to have food and not starve.

"We all deserve all the good life has to offer," I said.
"Yes, but they deserve it more."
"No one deserves anything more than others," I said. "We are all equal."

He pointed to my handbag and said he knew someone who had been mugged and I should have my bag crossed around my body just in case.

"I'm good, thank you. God is all around and looking after me," I said.
"Yes, God is love and everywhere but you still have to be careful," he said.
"You can't believe in Love and then be in fear," I said. "Either you believe in God or you don't. Thanks for your concern but I'm perfectly fine."

He smiled and was silent for a few moments.

"I bet you have a beautiful name. What's your name?"
"Enocia."
"That's a beautiful name and very unusual. Can you guess what mine is? It's a very popular name for English men."
"I don't know, John?"
"Close, it's actually James. You would have thought being Irish I would be called Patrick after our patron saint."
"James is a lovely name," I said.
"Thank you."

Soon my friend's bus arrived. Before he left he said, "Don't ever stop being your happy self."
"I won't. And you take care."

With a final wave, my friend got on his bus.

Love is all there is.

Enocia





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?