Thursday, September 28, 2006

Meeting with Friends

I had this strong desire to attend a Quakers meeting yesterday evening. I've always loved what Quakerism stands for that everyone has access to the divine. They sit in silence. If someone feels a need to minister from the silence they're welcome to share.

The first and last time I went to a Quakers meeting was three or four years ago. Just as I was coming out of a bookshop a man coming in asked me a question. We got chatting. He told me he was going to a Quakers meeting and he invited me along. I was curious and went with him. It was fun. I meant to return but then life happened until I had the desire to attend another service yesterday.

As soon as I walked into the Meeting House, I saw my friend from years ago. "You're back!" he said. It was like I only saw him yesterday. It was good to see him again.

It was lovely to sit in the silence. A few people shared some insights. I shared what love means for me that when you give to others you're giving to yourself. Then a man said he was inspired to sing a song he was taught at school. He could only remember part of it and encouraged us to sing along with him, which we did. It's called Magic Penny. (I'll post part of the lyrics here but you can find the rest at the link provided).

Love is something if you give it away,
Give it away, give it away.
Love is something if you give it away,
You end up having more.

It's just like a magic penny,
Hold it tight and you won't have any.
Lend it, spend it, and you'll have so many
They'll roll all over the floor.
It's a lovely song with a beautiful melody.

My experience of love is when I give love I am being the love that I am, the love that everyone is and the love that is everywhere present. The more I am being love or focused on love the more love I feel/experience/notice/give and the more love I feel/experience/notice/give...ad infinitum.

When I hold love tight, I am not seeing or being love. I end up focused on the love I believe I don't have and the world appears to be unfriendly or out to get me.

My friend did not attend the meeting but stayed to read in the library. After the meeting I spoke to him about the meeting and how we got to sing. He said, "don't go looking for love, love will come to you." He repeated this a few times as if he was passing on a message to me. Message received and understood.

A friend came over to me and said he could relate to what I had shared and we chatted for a while. I also spoke to a few friends.

I'm so glad I attended the meeting and got to meet old and new friends.

Enocia





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?