Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Smile and the World Smiles with You

As I was walking down the road munching on some chocolate a guy walked by. He said hello. I smiled at him.

"You look good, you know," he said.
"Thank you."
"Are you from around here?"
"No."

I told him what area I lived in, an area he knew very well.

"Where are you from originally?" he said.
"Sierra Leone."
"Freetown?"
"Yes," I said.
"I know someone who comes from Freetown."
"OK."
"Do you like living here?"
"I do actually. I was born in London."
"Then this is home."
"Yes, but I lived in Freetown as a child."
"Be honest, which do you prefer - London or Freetown?"
"London."
"Really?"
"Definitely. I love London."
"I'm from here but I've lived in St Kitts," he said. "Do you know where that is?"
"Yes, it's in the Caribbean."
"I definitely prefer life over there to living in London."
"OK."
"I find people in London are so miserable." he said.
"Yeah?"
"Look at it, it's awful. No one smiles."
"It's not the place," I said. "You give love and love comes back to you, just like you did to me."
"I talked to you because you seemed nice and you look different," he said. "I wasn't trying to chat you up I just wanted to say hello."
"See, you gave me love and I'm giving you love." I smiled. "Never stop being your friendly self."
"I won't."
"Did you go to the carnival?"
"No."
"Not your kind of thing?"
"Not really."
"Have you ever been to the carnival?"
"I used to years ago but I haven't been in ages."
"You should you know to give your support," he said.
"My brother went."
"This year there weren't as many people as last year but it was good. You must come next year."
"Maybe."
"It's been nice meeting you," he said.
"Me too."
"Take care."

Wherever I am, Love is.

Enocia





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?