Monday, October 09, 2006

Now, That's Magic!

On my bus journey into town the bus got diverted for some reason and it took ages to get back on track. I didn't mind as it gave me the opportunity to see parts of London I'd never seen before. I had an idea that instead of going all the way into town I could get off at St Paul, head to the Southbank and walk by the River Thames.

A few stops from my destination, two passengers got on. I heard them asking the driver where St Paul's Cathedral was. He said it was only a few stops down. They sat next to me. I told them they were really close and I was getting off at the same stop.

At the stop I walked with them to the cathedral. My friends were American students studying German in Berlin for one semester. They were in London for the weekend only and doing a whistle stop tour of London. St Paul's Cathedral was on their list of places to visit. I told my friends that I recently went on a guided tour of Christopher Wren buildings and St Paul's Cathedral was his famous work.

"I watched Mary Poppins as a child," one of my friends said, "and I've always wanted to see where the old woman in the movie sat feeding the birds."

"Really? I love Mary Poppins! It's my favourite film!"

I burst into a song:

Though her words are simple and few
Listen, listen, she's calling to you
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag" Feed the Birds from Mary Poppins
"Yes, it's a very good song," my friend said.

I walked with them through the courtyard and pointed where the old woman sat in the film feeding the birds. I also recommended that if they were interested, after their tour of St Paul's they could walk over the Millennium Bridge, which crosses the River Thames, and visit the Tate Modern art gallery.

They recommended that I see Monty Python's Spamalot, which they saw the previous day and found very entertaining.

I then said goodbye to my friends.

How wonderful to meet up with two Mary Poppins fans!

Now, that's what I call magic!

Enocia





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?