Friday, November 03, 2006

Be Like a Little Child and You are in Heaven

At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18: 1-4
When I was working in the library a little girl, about three or four years old, went up to her mother beside me. She said, "Mum, I'd like to do a poo please."

"Awww, how sweet!" I said. "When you need to poo, you need to poo, right?" She giggled.

That's what I love about kids, they have no sense of embarrassment, or rather they haven't been conditioned to the social mores of the day.

The woman accompanied her daughter to the toilet. When they returned I asked her if she'd had a good poo. Her mother said she didn't need to go after all.

In the above passage from the Bible, Jesus teaches that except we become like little children we will not "enter into the kingdom of heaven." The "kingdom of heaven" is not in some far flung place that you can only visit in your dreams or when you die, it is here now. Heaven is a state of being. You simply need to be "humble" just as kids are.

Babies have such trust in the universe. Have you observed how babies can fall asleep anywhere. How many times have you seen a baby worrying about falling out of his buggy/pushchair? They have no shame about asking anyone to meet their needs. Only when they've been conditioned not to speak to "strangers” do they only focus on their parents.

The dominant human programme is that the source of our supply is very limited indeed. First, it comes from your parents, relations and loved ones but NEVER from strangers. You can't trust strangers. As a child gets older he's let into the Big Secret: "Money doesn't grown on trees. Your parents have to earn the money to supply your needs." You then accept the belief that the only way to meet your needs is by earning a living. If you want to earn other people's respect you need to be self-sufficient. Any other way is unacceptable.

I got a lecture from my mother recently about the importance of self-respect, which she doesn't believe I have. She said as a child she wouldn't accept things from her parents because she wanted to be independent. She said I should stop looking to people to meet my needs but to stand on my own two feet. What she doesn't realise is I see God in all things and it is God appearing as the people. Besides, only when you have a self do you need to have self-respect. As I see it, there is only one Self and it is God.

To live in the kingdom of heaven, you have to let go of the "being independent" programme and see reality as it is: God/Light/Love is all there is. Since God is everywhere present, your supply comes in all shapes and forms: from family, friends, "strangers", nature, anywhere.

As I was typing in the library, I noticed a young man staring at me. He said he was amazed how fast I typed and wanted to know how I could type so fast. He said he's from Taiwan and studying English. He was looking for someone to do an exchange with: he said he would share his knowledge of stock markets while he practised English. I said I knew someone who is into stock markets and I'll email him and ask if he's available. I told my friend there are always people for him to practise with, someone like me for instance.

My friend said he learned English the American way and he was finding the British English quite a challenge. He finds a lot of people difficult to understand. I said it was because people have different accents. At one point he wanted to know whether he was disturbing me and I said no.

"Is disturbing the same as troubling?" he said.
"Yes they are the same."

Just at that moment a librarian came over and said to my friend "Sorry to disturb you, are you using this computer?"

He said no.

After the librarian had gone I said to him, "Did you notice she used the word 'disturb'?"

He was tickled pink.

When I told him my name was Enocia, pronounced Enokia, he said it sounded like the Hinoki tree. I looked it up on Google and I loved it. My friend also showed me how to narrow my search on Google by using the "Advanced Search" facility, which I have never explored before. I then emailed my friend some useful links to help him with his vocabulary.

My friend is like a little child taking baby steps in the English language. When he asked for help we were both blessed: I ended up meeting a new friend who introduced me to the Hinoki tree and lots more; and he got the opportunity to practise his English.

The "kingdom of heaven" is here and now. Be like a little child and you are in heaven.

Enocia

Related articles: Heaven is Now; Filters; Prayer; Freedom; Disgust; Dependence; Ask and You Will Receive





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?